adapters, eyepieces, barlows, diagonals, 2", 1.25".....confused.com !

I've received my Skywatcher Startravel 80 from FLO yesterday. (great service BTW). I have an equinox 80 and NEQ6 on its way (hopefully by the weekend). I also have a reducer for ED80, and a 1.25" & 2" nose pieces for a SCB4000 video camera. Once assembled the equinox will have a canon 500D on it and the ST80 a SCB4000 video camera for guiding and remote observation (my warm study !!).

I promised I have searched this forum and googled before I posted (please forgive me if these are foolish questions) ………

The St80 came with no instructions but by (gentle, trial and error) I assembled the optical parts. Can someone please help me with a number of questions.

1. There was a fitting already attached to the St80. Does it have a name? Nothing else fits the thread on the ST80 apart from this fitting. What size is this thread (on the body of the ST80) and what else can be attached at this point. It seems to reduce the ST80 aperture down to 1.25”. Would I need a different one if I wanted to reduce it to say 2” ?

2. The Barlow and diagonal fit into the fitting above. It also has a male thread at the opposite end to its attachment to the ST80. Is this a 2” thread and what could be attached at this point (it would have to have a female thread)?

3. The ED80 reducer doesn’t seem to fit anywhere. I’m not surprised as it not for an St80. What size are the two threads on the reducer and what could be attached to either end ?

4. To get the best out of my equinox should I get a 2” set up i.e. diagonal, barlow and eyepieces or simply use the setup which came with the ST80 (I’m not “rich” but I can afford further purchases if they provide value for money)?

Thank you

Ian

Archived