Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GCVS - variable stars by LX200

Hi. Anybody here on SGL using the LX200-built in GVCS catalogue for observing variables? I have fired up the old 'scope after 10 years of idle time, and re-discovering all the possibilities with this unit!

My question is if there are any available X-reference lists inbetween the "code" in the LX200 and the Bayer designations etc?

The LX200-manual lists this example:

"The first star in the constellation of Virgo, would be entered as 860001". (86 is the code for Virgo)

It seems like that the first star 860001 above in Virgo is "R", and 860002 is "S" and so on... but what if I quickly need to find a "Z-constellation star" or maybe V0973 as in V0973 CYG...? It's quite an effort to start counting on your fingers... :D Perhaps the easiest way is to make an Excel sheet with running numbers 1-9999 and the variable designations next to it, but that seem time consuning as well... :( Heeeeelp!

Archived