Cheshire, or laser cheshire??

I've collimated my 200p using a pop bottle top. Not ideal I know, but at least I know it's a darn site closer than it was before. I'm limiting myself on spending a bit, so before I go spending money on more / better EP's I'm going to get a collimation tool. The issue is I can't decide, do I get a Cheshire, or a Laser Cheshire? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both and which offers best value for money? I've seen some people who say that a laser can't be used accurately for collimating the secondary, so is it really worth it to have one.

Over to you.......

There is no such thing as a "laser cheshire." A Cheshire is a tool for adjusting the primary only. A cheshire/sight-tube combination tool (which is what most people mean when they say "cheshire") is a tool for adjusting the primary tilt, secondary tilt, and centering the secondary in the focuser. A laser collimator is used for adjusting the primary tilt and the tilt of the secondary. Unless you buy a fancy (read "expensive") holographic laser you won't be able to centre the secondary with a laser. You will need the combination tool anyway in order to correctly adjust the secondary under the focuser. Note that a cheap laser is a menace that will make your life hard. A Cheshire is the only tool you are likely to need.

I thought I saw a video on you tube where he was using a laser cheshire, oh well. Anyhoo looks like that's a decision made then. Off to FLO we go :D Can I use a cheshire or whatever it is, to align the focuser? I've seen it done with a laser but not without..

Archived