Lunar Photography Question

Hi Guys,

Just a quickie,

I have a Celestron GoTo 127 Mak and want to hook my Canon EOS 1100D up Prime Focus to take some pics of the moon. I have the T etc to fit it all.

Can anyone give some pointers on EP, shutter speed and ISA etc settings to start from as I'm pretty new to cameras as well as scopes. I have a SPC900 imcoming for planets but also want to try the DSLR.

Thanks

For the moon, its that bright that it won't matter. The 127 I beleive is around F11 so if trying to use the camera for fainter objects, 20 seconds at ISO800 is probably the limit, so you'll then need to use software stacking. The 127 lends itself to luna / planetary imaging, and ideally using a webcam so that trailing is not an issue per-say

Cheers for that,

So keep the ISO at 100 for detail?

Out of interest how long an exposure can you hope to get without tracking before things blur?

The ISO isn't so much about detail, its more to do with shutter speed, each doubling of ISO 100 -> 200 is the same as 1/125th -> 1/250th would be using shutter speeds your speed required for the Moon is quite high so a slow ISO helps, a Galaxy 80 million L/Y's away would require much more image time so putting the ISO up to 1600 ISO really just gives you 6 more extra shutter speeds the noise induced due to the highed ISO doesn't really matter with this type of image. I'm sure somebody will come along and type a more elegant version but thats it in a nut shell, taking images of stars with no tracking would require a high ISO and a short shutter time couple of seconds depending on the EP and Scope ect..

Hi,

Many years ago I read that you could use the 'sunny 16' rule with the moon. This basically states that in full sun (as the illuminated part of the moon is) you should use f16 and the reciprical of the ISO as the shutter speed (i.e. at ISO 100, 1/125th @ f16 and at ISO 400, 1/500th @ f16).

Whether this still works through a scope I don't know, if it does, then at ISO 100 you'd have 1/250th @f11, 1/500th @ f8 and 1/1000th @ f5.6, maybe?

What do people normally use to stack lunar images? I was trying deep sky stacker last night but I think it needs stars. I read somewhere about using a crater as a reference point, although with my dslr and 200mm zoom lens it is more of a dark splodge.

Archived