NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 4.5" reflector flocking

assasincz

I have purchased a 5m role of black velur for the sole purpose of flocking my Skyliner 300P dobsonian. Having done that, there was enough excess material to use for my 4.5" newtonian as well, so, I gave it a shot.

When stripped, the OTA's dimensions were

(sorry for the metric, again :icon_salut: ):

Tube length: 87.5cm

Tube internal circumference: 44.5 cm

In the case of this, rather basic, newtonian, the OTA's joint was not welded but rather folded, which, rather conviniently, made an excellent guiding line for fitting the D-C-Fix Velur Black. It all went rather easy, although the OTA's dimensions allow only to use one hand (in my case, I am a big chap, frankly) while fitting it.

Caution: do not use a ruler or anything similar for smoothening the velur, because it causes and excessive shedding of fibres! Use your hands instead.

Having stripped the OTA, I gave the primary and the secondary mirrors a good wash, following some instructions off the internet, letting them sit under running tap water for a while, applying, in my case, a bit of Mr. Muscle window detergent, rubbing them gently with my fingers and rinsing them with destilled water. Simple and effective, and good results, I have to add.

Anyway, with this smaller scope at least, I will be able to compare the contrast of the image before and after (whenever I will get round to go outside and actually observe) so I am looking forward to the difference it will make.

Just as in case of my 300P, the flocking worked a treat, as you can see from the supplied pictures. The quality of the default matt paint was, in case of this toy-ish scope, so poor, that the reflections even casted some nice rainbowy patters, as apparent from the pictures.

Too bad I can't flock my binos, really...

post-27855-133877724024_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877724032_thumb.jpg

post-27855-13387772404_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877724047_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877724054_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877724061_thumb.jpg

Archived