new telescope

Just taken delivery of my new skywatcher Evostar 90 which was recomended by you guys here and I am well pleased with it, the build quality is much better than some of the others I have looked at in the high street stores. However it does not come without the pitfalls as now I have it and managed to assemble it without my 2 very exited 8 and 5 year old trying to help the cloud seems to have rolled in so cant do the star thing to try and set it up, can this be done in daylight trying to focus on something else like a chimney or something?

Congratulations on the new scope.

Yes, you can align the finder on a distant object in daylight. Something a mile or so away is fine. Put the lowest power eyepiece in the scope and center the chosen alignment object in the eyepiece, then, lock the mount so the scope won't move and adjust the finder so the chosen object is in the center of the cross hairs. The more accurately you can do this the better when it comes to nighttime viewing.

Show your children some distant objects through the scope in daylight if that helps keep their excitement at bay. With the star diagonal in place objects will be the right way up but left and right will be reversed.

Archived