Which EP set are the better quality?

I have a Celetron Mak 127 and think its about time to expand my limited EP's. Buying a set seems a cost effective way of doing it and there seems to be 2 main contenders

a) The Celetron boxed EP Kit

First Light Optics - Celestron Eyeopener Eyepiece and Filter Kit

or

:) The Revelation boxed EP Kit

First Light Optics - Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepiece kit

Sometimes kits are made up of inferior products and tend not to be such a bargain as claimed.

Which of the 2 sets are the higher quality and how would you guys rate them and would they be better than the 2 that come with the scope?

Cheers

I think the Revelation set offers focal lengths that would be better suited to your scope - the barlow lens would not be any use to you with the Celestron set. Also the Celestron 32mm does not seem to offer a full field of view either - 52 degrees (as per the Revelation set) is quite possible and desirable with a decent 32mm plossl eyepiece.

PS: In terms of quality, I think the Revelation plossls are made by GSO and they make good plossl eyepieces. I don't know the source of the Celestron ones.

I have the Rev 15mm and 20mm plossls and they are very nice eyepieces for the money (although I bought mine SH for £10 each). You probably won't use the barlow unless you wear glasses to observe. Then using a barlow with the longer eyepieces gives you better eyerelief.

I agree with John that the Revelation set suits your scope better - Good choice.

The 44 degree fov listed didn't sound right :) (that's about what you would get from a 40mm plossl). The Celestron site doesn't mention any such restriction (Celestron Eyepiece and Filter Kit 1.25 in - Accessories) so that may be an earlier error/change copied & pasted over the years as it appears on other websites selling this kit, not just FLO.

But you made the right decision anyway :)

Good news!!! thanks again all,

By the way, the wife wants a chat with you all as I blamed you guys for the excessive spend on my part. I had to say the scope was pretty dangerous without the EP's and could take out a few houses if it went up so it was a matter of safety. :)

:)

Archived