NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dark Skies Site, arranged events

DaveT

Mods -- if this breaches any forum rules then please accept my apologies and delete the thread.

There is a site in Scotland that has been awarded its official Dark Site Certification. Its a forestry commission site near the border so is quiet accessible to a lot of people. They organize regulr star watching events on their website, and list all the best places within the park to star gaze alongside sky quality meter readings for each location.

Most of the park has a Sky Quality Meter (SQM) scale reading of 21 to 23.6

The SQM scale is from 0 to 25. You would get a reading of 8 in the middle of a major city such as Glasgow or Edinburgh, whereas a 24 would be measured in a photographer's dark room. Based on this scale, the Forest Park’s scores range from 21 to 23.6 which gives them near to total darkness as you can get given the populations around it.

The park website is

Forestry Commission Scotland - Galloway Forest Park Dark Skies

and the events page is

Forestry Commission Scotland - Galloway Forest Dark Sky Park events

i myself will be visiting the park soon to see how good it is, and probably attending some of their events

Cheers

Dave

Archived