Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Maplins PowerTank question

I've just bought one of those 17aH car battery power tanks from Maplin. Looks good but I have a slight concern over the fact that the 12v outputs don't seem to have an on/off switch, so I have to plug things in "live", as it were.

Just wondered if this could cause any damage to my equipment. If I am plugging in live, which end of the power lead I should plug in first?

Cheers

Tim

Shouldn't be an issue. If you're concerned, you should plug the lead into the power supply first, then the telescope, so that any arcing and fluctuations in voltage and current won't reach the telescope's electronics. Being a smaller connection, such fluctuations are likely to be less than with the bigger, crude cig plug.

I'd be more concerned with the fact it's from Maplin. I used to work there, so I'm negatively biased, but I wouldn't trust it as far as I can throw it. Oh, wait, no, actually It's cheap lightweight maplin rubbish, I could actually throw it into orbit... :) My point is, I'd get a multi-meter on it before using it to power any delicate electronics. Make sure it's hovering around 12v, and not 18v, 23v, etc...

Archived