NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Early results

Have been hoping to find Mercury in my scope. Although I have seen it many times, I have only got it in binoculars, never in a scope. Tonight I was unable to pick it out of the atmospheric haze and skyglow at sunset, even with my monocular. When Venus popped into view, I put the scope on it, and was clearly able to see the half-phase, without the usual atmospheric wiggle and dance, so there's some hope for a good view of Jupiter tongiht. Last night it was just a salmon-coloured disk with moons. I would like to see some cloud belts. At 200x it was like a big yellow marble at arm's length. Hoping for good luck with Saturn tonight, too.

... later the same evening ...

I went out about 9:15 and tried Saturn, but it is definitely past its prime for this year. I couldn't get a good image on the FOV, due mainly to lack of transparency, I think.

I waited patiently on my deck watching Jupiter move into a better position, then repositioned my scope for a look, and spent about 45 minutes looking at it, without much joy. The moons appeared fat and misty, and I could see only hints of banding. I tried my 8mm X-Cel, then my 9mm Ortho, with slightly better results, and added a yellow filter, still only getting stronger hints of bands. I put my 5mm X-Cel in, for a slightly larger view of the same thing, then decided to call it a night. I had been looking hard for the GRS, but no joy.

Hope you've all had good nights.

Archived