DSLR magnification

I have attached a picture. The DLSR camera body has been inserted into the aperture of the telescope. But, lenses have not been used. How can the image that is photographed be magnified. Surely the image pictured without any lens would look extremely small. Have I misunderstood something here?

post-17023-133877720472_thumb.jpg

The telescope becomes a Telephoto lens when couple in Prime Focus like your is in the picture, so a steady mount that tracks will give some decent pictures, if you use a lens then the camera it will magnify the images from the scope, and also magnify any movement and tracking errors that occur, just gonna be a suck it and see, my last attempt at this type of image resulted in all the outer stars getting trails that made them point inwards towards the center of the image, no doubt somebody will know why and maybe a cure....:)

As has been said.... the telescope is basically acting like a fixed focal length lens for the camera.

Your average DSLR comes with a 18-55mm lens as standard... IIRC with digital 45mm is about 1/1 ie: zero magnification.

Your average short tube refractor like an ST80 is about equivalent to a 400mm lens I believe... something like a 200P Newtonian is equivalent to about a 1000mm lens.

One of the first things you realise with astrophotography is... there is no such thing as a 'zoom' lens... so you need to pick a scope that has the right focal length (and er-go magnification) for what you want to photograph.... or, as many of us do, collect a range of scopes over time that suit different targets.

Remember... a lot of objects are enormous and don't need much magnification... the North America nebula for example only just fits in to the field of view of a DSLR with a 300mm focal length scope/lens.

Ben

Archived