Best Software & Is An iPad An Option?

Hello again all and sorry for the quick second advice post. When i get my Telescope:

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/171894-new-astronomy-best-telescope-under-500-a.html

I want some software to go with it. I've been looking at Starry Night. is it good or are better alternatives out there. Also i'd rather buy a iPad than a Laptop. Can the software be used on a iPad and can a iPad be used to control a Telescope?

If so, i'd still be interested in hearing what the best Laptop software is as well.

Thanks for your help... Martin

Stellarium and Cartes du Ciel are both excellent free PC-based planetaria that will allow computer control of a telescope. There are also some great (and not so great) apps available for the iPhone/iPad. I think Sky Safari is probably one of the most highly regarded, but comes in 3 flavours - you would have to check which one most fits your needs.

As far as scope control from an iPad is concerned I believe it may be possible, but I don't know much about it, sorry.

Well Ihave Sky Safari Plus on my Iphone 4. And it controls my Nexstar 8se fanstastic. The Ipad has a larger screen so will be easier. But less portable.

I have Starry Night Pro Plus 6. And You can use this on a laptop.

But I use my Iphone the most as it fits nicely in my jacket.

Archived