celestron nexstar 102gt novice

Hi all, fairly new to astronomy but I'm onto my second telescope, and only got my first for christmas! Got a 120mm jessopps own for xmas, without having the chance to research myself, and had some fun with it, the moon views were impressive and I managed find a planet see its rings, and four satellites, but quickly felt I had taken it to its limit and wanted more.

So I took advantage of the thirty day return policy, and have just bought a celestron nexstar 120gt. The optics seem much clearler, there is more range on the focus and it has a motor and computer, but I can't really use it!! My efforts have been thwarted somewhat by freezing weather, a bit more time to explore the scope before the lens misted / froze would have been great. However I found several problems I don't know how to overcome. I still have 20 or so days to return it if its not right, but I've read plenty of positive reviews and I want to realise it's potential before I decide.

Issues are

• vibration (heard weighting may help, but unsure where or how)
  • focus - cant seem to get a sharp image
  • motor controls - 9 fast to 1 very slow. 9 fine, 8 barely moves and is jerky. 7 seems still so havnt bothered going lower.
  • controller cable too short
  • no off switch or place for battery compartment
  • cumbersome

if i decide to keep it, i'm an electro mechanical engineer so I'm quite happy to modify it, but need to know if these issues are summountable and will the effort be worth it.

Very excited about the potential of this new hobby, and look forward to a bit crack with some of you in the future. Thanks for reading

Hi handlebars,

It seems you posted your thread in the wrong place (in the primers and tutorials section where people post their guides on how to use things), so this is probably why you haven't had any replies.

I have a Celestron 102SLT, is this the model you have as I've not heard of a 102GT?

Whichever Celestron scope you have you will find a lot of useful information on the following website:

http://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsEnds.htm

Hope this is of some help :)

Issues are

• vibration (heard weighting may help, but unsure where or how)
  • focus - cant seem to get a sharp image
  • motor controls - 9 fast to 1 very slow. 9 fine, 8 barely moves and is jerky. 7 seems still so havnt bothered going lower.
  • controller cable too short
  • no off switch or place for battery compartment
  • cumbersome

if i decide to keep it, i'm an electro mechanical engineer so I'm quite happy to modify it, but need to know if these issues are summountable and will the effort be worth it.

Very excited about the potential of this new hobby, and look forward to a bit crack with some of you in the future. Thanks for reading

Hi, I've had a look at the manual for your scope and have the following suggestions with regards to you list of issues ...

Vibration can indeed be reduced by placing a small bag of sand on the accessory tray (or suspending it underneath the tray). Also make sure all of the fittings on the tripod are secure (but not too tight).

Focus - are you using the star diagonal and eyepieces that came with the scope? If you leave the diagonal out you probably won't be able to focus. Are you finding that you can't get focus in either direction or that you 'move through' the focus point as you adjust the knob and can't get it quite right?

Motor controls - you may find that your axis clutch adjustments are too tight or too loose. As your scope is an earlier version of mine I think you'll find these are cap head bolts at the centre of each axis that you can adjust.

Controller cable should be easy to extend (make up a replacement longer one) using parts from Maplin Electronics.

Battery pack - you may find it more convenient to use a portable 12v 'power tank' placed on the ground underneath the tripod and an adapter lead. These will last a lot longer than using ordinary batteries. Don't buy branded astronomy ones - search the SGL forums and you'll find plenty of specific advice on these.

Hope these suggestions are of some help.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, sorry for late reply, been away working. I decided to return the scope to Costco and have now bought a skywatcher eq2, which althought isn't computerised, I sem to get a clearer image without the problems. Its made me realise how challenging this subject is tho, but all the more determined to succeed. Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, I'll have to make sure future posts go in the right place.

Chris

Archived