Goto mount/tripod for Skywatcher Explorer 200p

I purchased a Skywatcher explorer 200p a while back, I have now decided to upgrade to a goto mount/tripod.

I have seen this link but it is recommending the maximum telescope that could be fitted would be the 130p, I assume due to weight.

Would this be suitable? If not what other options would I have?

Cheers!

That mount would be totally swamped by the 200P I'm afraid. For visual use an EQ5 GTO would be OK:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher EQ5 PRO Synscan GOTO

For imaging you would need something more substatial.

There is the upgrade to GOTO for the EQ5 mount as well, assuming you have the mount already:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/synscan-pro-goto-version-3-upgrade-kit-for-eq5.html

Thanks for the quick response, it looks like that's the option I'll have to go with. I have been interested in imagine, what are the reasons that this doesn't perform? Is it just a case of not being accurate enough?

Thanks for the quick response, it looks like that's the option I'll have to go with. I have been interested in imagine, what are the reasons that this doesn't perform? Is it just a case of not being accurate enough?

I'm not an imager but I think it's just that imaging needs a much more stable and accurate mount than visual astronomy does. The 200P is quite a heavy tube.

If you want to image with a 200P then an HEQ5 is the absolute minimum. An EQ6 would be better.

However - you can get away with the EQ5 if you only want to image the Sun and Moon with a DSLR camera or any Solar system object with a webcam. For long exposure Deep Sky imaging I'm afraid you will be dissapointed with anything less than the HEQ5.

The reason is rigidity - the HEQ5 and EQ6 are generally more massive, have bigger bearings and better gears/gearboxes and electronics. As a rule of thumb for imaging you can mount equipment (not including counterweights) up to half the "maximum design load" of a mount. So for an HEQ5 (max=18Kg) you can mount upto 9kg of kit.

PS It would also be wise to have a pier or very solid, stable tripod - at least 1.75" steel tube for the legs - steer clear of aluminium tripods as they tend to be wobbly as jelly!

Archived