NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First proper DS session with my 6yo.

marcopolo

Night of the 16th it was clear and steady so i thought i'd do a proper session with my 6 year old. I'd previously let him see the moon a few times but this time I though i'd plonk him in front of some good DS objects.

observing from Edinburgh (5 miles from city centre) at the edge of the city LM about 5.2-5.3. (milky way barely percieveable with averted vsion). 8in Dob.

M31 he saw a 'small cloud'

M81/82 in the 40mm Plossl to get them in the same field. I didn't prompt him but he noticed one was a thin line and one was fuzzy.

M42 he described to me what would have been the dust lanes.(it was particulary good on the 16th as i noticed from other posts).With the 15mm TV Plossl and a Lumicon UHC it was breathtaking.

M37/38 the tighter of the two he looked at but wasn't impressed at all. 'Daddy theres lots of tiny stras. What else can we see?'!!!!!

Finished off with Jupiter but I had to tell him to look closesly to spot the 2 fainter atmospheric bands above and below the main ones.

great fun.

Archived