A small scope or a new focuser? I can't decide

Following on from another thread I possted - I connected my Atik to my Equinox 66 and the focuser was totally dire. Flopped about all over the place. I know that Peter has posted a link to try to sort it - That is one alternative.

Of course, there are another two - Buy a Moonlite for the Equinox 66, that way I know that I have a rock solid focuser on a scope I like the FL of.

Or as Nadeem suggested in my thread, I cut my losses and get a new scope, something like the new WO ZS70. But and here's the big problem. I will not be able to change the focuser on that as well. I know that it's a R&P focuser, but it's an SCT thread, and my experience of that thread type with the Equinox, trying to get it to 2" has been poor, using a Baader adaptor.

At least if I change the focuser on the Equinox 66 that's all I need to do, but supposing the focuser on the WO doesn't hold out very well? I am mindful that the Moonlite costs more than the scope, but I am willing to do that if that is the best option in the end. Also, that way, I end up with a 2" focuser.

I like the 66-70 FL, so I don't want an ED80. I know that narrows down my choices a little too.

Anyone any suggestions or comments? I'd really love to hear them.

Archived