Help with purchasing my first scope

Hi, I hope that someone could answer my questions and help me a bit in choosing my first scope. Ive been interested in astronomy for a while now and about 2 months ago I purchased my first pair of 20 x70 binos and to be honest I couldn't put them down! But now I feel its time to move onto purchasing my first scope and looking that little bit further into the unknown. Anyway Ive been looking around the first light optics website at reflector scopes and I have a couple of questions bugging me:

• Like I said im new to all this and im abit afraid that if i get my first scope that I wont know what to point it at, so I was looking into Auto scopes, but my question is can you also control Auto scopes manually as well as letting the scope find the destination? and are they easy to set up for a first timer? Also do you think that they ruin the magic of exploring the sky?

• Also the most I can spend on my first scope would be around £250 including the mount so I was wandering for a first timer what the best scope you would recommend fromhttp://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/

Many thanks.

p.s: I posted this in two parts of the forums as I was a little confused in where it should go.

1. I do not think you can move them manually unless it is plugged in or has batteries.

If these fail you cannot move your mount.

yes it is way more fun finding objects yourself, it is hard to find things just sweeping around but if you read a star chart it will not take you very long, but when you do, you will feel magnificent.

2. For £250 you should get a 200p skywatcher dobsonian or a 150p skywatcher dobsonian

both of the suggested scopes above are exceptional quality with a well made mirror. both are BIG. 150p is a 6" mirror and the 200p is a 8" mirror. make sure you have storage space.

ps goto telescopes are not a simple set up at all. you HAVE to polar align it well. It will only track for average of 15mins before going off on its own. You will enjoy a dobsonian newtonian. You will see much more as they have large mirror. the larger the mirror the better you will -see-.

both of the suggested scopes above are exceptional quality with a well made mirror. both are BIG. 150p is a 6" mirror and the 200p is a 8" mirror. make sure you have storage space.

ps goto telescopes are not a simple set up at all. you HAVE to polar align it well. It will only track for average of 15mins before going off on its own. You will enjoy a dobsonian newtonian. You will see much more as they have large mirror. the larger the mirror the better you will -see-.

Thanks for your advice, I looked at the scopes you suggested and they seem to have good reviews and have scored 93% from the sky at night magazine so all looks good, however I would be a bit concerned about the the size of it the only place I could think of keeping it would be the loft and carrying in and out and down 3 flights of stairs might be a bit tricky. Also would it need be placed onto a table or something when observing? as it looks low on the stand, or can be detached from the stand and be mounted on a tripod?

Many thanks.

The 150P is a fairly large scope, I doubt that you would want to lug it up and down from the attic each time you use it. The Dob mount won't need to go on a table, as the eye piece is at the top of the scope.

I realise that most advice here tends towards Dobs because of the aperture to £ ratio, but for portability, have you considered a refractor:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Evostar 90 (EQ3-2)

Or if you can stretch to it:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Evostar 102 (EQ3-2)

After this point the refractors begin to get a bit large. Both of the above should be nice starter scopes :D

the stand is a dobsonian mount. it is designed for ease of use and practicallity. the base is separate from the scope and detatches.

go for yhe 6" ad it will be easier to handle and still show you amazing things (i have a 4.5" and see everything so you have no worries)

skywatcher also do a 130p heritage dobsonian flex tube.

that is 5", more than enough to see every wonder above us, and it folds down very small. this scope also is excellent.

I want one, it has the names of every inspirational astronomer engraved into the tube too.. and its only £145!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi & welcome!

Like I said im new to all this and im abit afraid that if i get my first scope that I wont know what to point it at

That won't happen. Everyone on this forum will always be willing to help you, and you'll soon come across some great resources: loads of books, websites and as some others have suggested, download 'Stellarium' on your computer and have a play with that. It's great!

For £250 you should get a 200p skywatcher dobsonian or a 150p skywatcher dobsonian

I agree with Ken's 'scope recommendations. The Dobsonians are excellent in many ways. The Skywatcher Skyliner 150p Dobsonian would probably suit your pocket more. They're both great telescopes.

Archived