NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

January 14, 2012: Mixed bag of very clear bits and cloud

A big bright patch of sky was available at about 10:30, so I quickly set up the scope.

I used M45 to align the finder scope, and gauge transparency. As some nebulosity seemed to be present, all seemed very good indeed. I moved north to IC 348 in Perseus: a little cluster with some associated nebulosity. Th cluster was more evident than the nebulosity (seemed to be in wrong place on Stellarium, but right place according to photographs).

Two other IC objects in the vicinity (IC 351 and IC 2003) stubbornly refused to show, but I just checked sketches and photographs, which seem to contradict the positions given in Stellarium as well.

I then turned to Orion. M42 and M43 were amazing as ever. Moving north, the Running man components NGC 1977 (the largest, southernmost), NGC 1975 (bit to north and east of NGC 1977) and NGC 1973 (west of NGC 1975) could be discerned. The wispy structure was visible. Best 17mm Nagler without UHC filter.

After another attempt at IC 351 and IC 2003 (they continue to bug me), I moved further north to NGC 1499, the California Nebula. A bit to my surprise, it showed up as a brighter patch of sky against a very dark background in the UHC filter. The 1.25 deg FOV of the 31 mm only showed part of it. I feel it is the darkness surrounding the nebula, especially at the Northern edge which is more prominent than the Nebula itself. Of course it helped that it was almost overhead. I should try this again with the 80mm.

Elated by this, I tried IC 405 (Caldwell 31, the Flaming Star Nebula). This too showed up as a distinct darkening of the background toward the group of stars to its east (including 16 to 19 Aurigae). The whole nebula again did not fit into one FOV. The view through the 31mm Nagler with UHC filter was great.

I gave NGC 2022 a shot, mainly because it is a short star hop from Cr 69 (the Lambda Orionis association). Easily found to the east of this group, with two mag mag 8 star almost pointing at it, it showed up as a little fuzzy ball, with quite good surface brightness, best in 17mm with UHC and averted vision.

After another go at the Running Man, I moved to Monoceros and NGC 2301. This is a nice open cluster, and from it you should be able to star-hop to NGC 2346, but it did not show up.

I had planned to have a llok at NGC 2775, and after that NGC 3239 and its current supernove, but clouds rushed in. Still, I got some really faint fuzzies through excellent skies while they lasted.

I have tried a couple of times for the California nebula but have since given up, assuming its surface brightness was far too low.

I have a UHC-S filter now and so it might be worth having a crack at it again, seeing as it is well placed at the moment.

Once again a great night's viewing and report.

Archived