Does my scope need colimating?

Hi All

I recently flocked my SW 150PL and in the process had to remove both mirrors and everything else.

After the rebuild i set up the scope and checked the colimation roughly and it looked ok (i think) i found a bright star - pointed the scope at it and de-focused. The blur around the star was perfectly central and round.

Does the above point to good colimation? I know my scope is a slow one so not as crutial - the thing is, since doing the flocking, things i look at have a cross coming out from them (like using a 4 point starburst filter) so i am wondering if i did something wrong. could this 4 point star be the secondary mirror spider? Is this normal as i dont recall it being there before?

thanks

chris

The "starburst" is due to the secondary holder. It was always there. If the spider vanes are no longer edge-on (i.e. slightly rotated) then they will appear thicker as viewed from the primary and so will produce more prominent diffraction spikes. You want to check that they aren't twisted.

Archived