NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is it just bad karma between windows 7 Professional & Meade LX200?

Mike37N113W

This is a follow-up to my post a couple of weeks ago. I was having problems connecting my HP notebook to my Meade LX200 so I could run AstroPlanner and SkyX Professional software.

Well... not really a "problem".... more than a problem... it just wasn't working. I won't repeat all the steps I took to try to find a solution (they are described in my last post.

Since the last post, I received the Keyspan USB serial adapter. It works fine on my old computer running Windows XP. But the new adapter doesn't help my problem with my Windows 7 Professional notebook. Three adapters (Keyspan, Meade, Gigaware); no success.

So far I have eliminated the following possible culprits: bad RS232 port on the telescope; bad RS232 cable, bad or incorrectly wired RS232/Serial adapter; and bad USB serial adapter. I doubt my windows 7 notebook has a bad USB port (I tried all three).

That leaves just one possible reason for the problem: Windows 7 Professional does not like something, whether it is the cables, adapters, or telescope.

Here's my line-up:

Option 1: One side of the Keyspan USB Serial adapter plugs into Windows XP computer serial port, the other side plugs into a SoftwareBisque Serial/Rs232 adapter, and an RS232 cable runs from there to the Meade LX200.

Option 2: And, since my XP computer has a serial port (my notebook doesn't), I can eliminate the Keyspan adapter completely, and just plug the SoftwareBisque Serial/RS232 adapter into my XP serial port.

Although option 2 has fewer "parts" and should be more stable because of its simplicity, I've chosen to use option 1. Why? Because I have bought three USB Serial adapters so far and I'd feel foolish if I didn't use at least one of them.

Well, at least I can connect to my telescope using my old XP laptop for as long as it holds up. Not a great solution. but better than nothing.

I'd like to hear if others have run into the same problem. And I'd really like to hear from anyone who has figured out a solution for a Windows 7 Professional computer.

It worked straight out of the box! massive relief.

I love the sound of those words! Thanks. Yesterday I swore I was done with dealing with this - I've spend more time on this problem than I've spent behind the eyepiece. But you give me encouragement. I will go for it one more time. I feel kind of like a crack addict who can't shake his addiction.

Archived