Hello, I have recently purchased a skywatcher 200p dob and I am having problems with viewing images. I have collimated the scope successfully (I think) as what I see through the cheshire is the same as what Astro baby's guide shows. When I try to look at the moon it is in the ep but I cannot focus on it. The image stays blurry and the focuser cannot physically focus anymore. Does anyone have any ideas where I am going wrong?

Does the focusser have a built in extension tube ?

If you loosen the eyepiece and the pull it slightly outwards and the images achieves focus then you will need to use one (extension tube that is).

Lastly can you focus on distant objects in the daylight ?

What eyepiece size were you using? And when did you try your observation? Last night the atmosphere was very mushy and I had trouble maintaining focus with binocs.

Try a low power eyepiece first when the sky is very clear - something like 20mm to 25mm would be fine. Move the focuser tube slowly across it's full range until you get a crisp view.

The moon gets brighter when it's full. Best time to look at it is when it's a crescent, but you can allways use an LP filter or replace the cap and remove the small off-center cap - that'll give you enough light to see it comfortably.

Place the small cap on the round stubb next to the hole so you don't loose it :p

The scope has a 2" adaptor connected to the focuser, then a 2" - 1.25" adaptor, then the eyepiece (does this make sense?). I have tried viewing the moon during daylight and I have the same problem.

Somebody had a very similar problem a few days ago. It turned out that they were using the wrong 2" - 1.25" adaptor but we could not tell that until they posted a photo of their focuser ready for use. Here is that thread - the pics are on the 2nd page of posts:

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/168574-cant-see-anything-through-new-scope-sw200p.html

Well what can I say! I have been using the two adaptors supplied instead of just using the 1.25" adaptor/ep holder. I can now see the moon clearly and it looks amazing. Thank you so much to everyone who replied to my post, I am a complete beginner and would have been lost without your help. Fingers crossed for clear skies tonight!

Daylight will spoil the view somewhat. I tried the moon in daylight with two scopes - it was really fuzzy with the sct, but the refractor was pin sharp - could see the mountains on the limb and the moons slightly oblate curvature very easily.

If the adaptor stands out an inch or so from where it joins the focuser tube then you might not be able to get it in focus. You can get short length adaptors that sit allmost flat against the focuser tube and only stick out under 10mm. Hope that helps :p

Archived