NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Interesting targets.

NickK

I thought I'd start a thread about interesting targets that people may be interested in turning their scopes to (rather than the usual M42..)

My interesting target for this post is: NGC 4567 (12:36:33.88 +11:14:59.3), magnitude 10.

Not only does it have a very easy to remember number it's also interesting for a second reason, here's an image from aladin which shows two galaxies together:

post-22611-133877710903_thumb.jpg

I think the trick in being original lies in focal length. You need either a very short one (and/or mosaic the region) or a very long one. With a short one you can discover all sorts of large scale structures not normally seen and with a long one you have a host of galaxies and planetary nebulae to go for. My heart lies in the very wide, personally, and my dream setup would be 2 full format camera-scope setups in parallel. Or four, of course, or six...!! But, arriving soon, will be a scope of nearly 2.4 metres FL and that, when running, should allow us to have a look at objects like yours above.

Olly

• 1 month later...

Archived