Taking notes, & session-logging

Hi all,

I've noticed that during my last couple of nights out I have really got a lot better at finding stuff -- either getting to the right place in the sky to see something that interests me, or figuring out from a book when I stumble across something that impresses me. In fact, I'm getting fast enough with the binoculars that I'm starting to lose track of the things that i have observed.

This makes me think that now is a good time to start keeping a log of my viewing sessions, and I was wondering what sort of details you guys record (if any!) during your observations. Do you keep track of how you found objects, detailed notes of patterns of stars, or do you just keep a long list of things you've seen?

Thanks,

Steve

There's no right way or wrong way to keep notes.

Personally I keep detailed Cartes du Ciel maps for the more difficult object location. I have just started writing notes myself but nothing more than a brief description of nearby star patterns as guiders and details of shape and brightness of objects (eg. was the object restricted to averted vision etc)

With a 5" scope many of the fainter objects I am simply happy to say nothing more than I managed to see it.

I write up my notes as a post on the Observing Report section on this forum and usually get a few comments back - either encouragement or perhaps a bit of discussion over difficulty of seeing / locating stuff or how things appear.

Have a read of a few to get an idea of what others write.

Look forward to your first write up - if that's the way you decide to do.

I keep a log of the "technical details" (i.e. what equipment I used, what the seeing conditions were like, the time, date, location, etc.), a description of the object I observed and any thoughts I had to give it a personal touch. Sometimes I'll add a sketch too.

This may be helpful: The Astronomical Log Book

If you want to record your observations on the computer then this free software may be of use to you: The Simple Observing Log

I keep a log of the "technical details" (i.e. what equipment I used, what the seeing conditions were like, the time, date, location, etc.), a description of the object I observed and any thoughts I had to give it a personal touch. Sometimes I'll add a sketch too.

This may be helpful: The Astronomical Log Book

The Simple Observing Log

Just what I had been looking for, Thanks for that.

Maybe a nice little thing for SGL or FLO to think about having printed up to add a few coppers to the Forum up keep seems to fit in nicely with beanie hat, mug, calendar hey…

Thanks again...

Archived