Essential reading for the amateur astronomer

Hello again :p

As nearly everybody here is far more experienced than me what would you all consider as essential reading for the budding amateur astronomer?

I am currently reading Making Every Photon Count and the Haynes Astronomy Manual but I am sure there are other publications that should be inwardly digested.

Can this request also include reading material required in the field whilst observing as well as in the home?

Many thanks in advance

Dave

I second Turn Left at Orion. Great for reading both inside and in the field. Haven't found a better book. It shows you realistic pictures of what you'll see through the eyepiece rather than misleading astrophotos from the HST etc. The 4th edition has recently come out. You can pick it up from Amazon fairly cheaply.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thank you for your very useful recommends. TLAO and Philips Astro Box ordered.

Slight tangent here but what photo editing software (adobe photoshop etc...) is most user friendly when editing/touching up astro images?

Freeware is obviously good but have no problem paying for the right software package

Archived