New scope - eq mount questions

Hi everyone,

Finally got a scope at christmas - a Skylux 70/700 refractor.

It came with a nice (heavy!) eq mount and i wondered if anyone can tell me how i set it up properly?

As an - an idiots guide to how to setup an eq mount and dragging it into the back garden at night!

The setting which sets the angle? (ie from pointing forward to pointing overhead) is numbered 0-90 - what should this be set at?

How should i read the other dials on the RA /dec settings?

Thanks

Just found the thread but the link in it is no longer working.

It did bring up another question regarding balancing the scope tho and now i feel like i really dont have a clue what im doing. Startin to wish i got an alt/az mount! :D

Time to do some more research

If you search for "astro-baby" she did a guide to setting up an equitorial mount, although she used an HEQ5 to demonstrate with. Should be worth a read however.

Don't worry about the RA/Dec setings yet, if at all, you are only really interested in the Polar alignment.

More information on the mount would be useful, as in which eq mount. I assume that it does not mave motors.

balancing is pretty easy to do.

To eliminate stresses on the Equatorial mounts and to ensure smooth, judder-free motion of the telescope the instrument needs to be balanced about both the declination and polar (right ascension) axis. This is especially important if you propose to use a motor drive for astrophotography at a future date.

(i) Locate the right ascension clamp and loosen it whilst holding the telescope tube. Turn the telescope about this axis until the counterweight bar is approximately horizontal. GENTLY release your grip on the tube and note if the counterweight has a tendency to fall or rise: if it RISES, unlock the counter weight locking screw and slide it away from the telescope; if itFALLS , slowly slide the counterweight towards the telescope side of the mount. Repeat this process until the counterweight bar remains in one place with out support and clamp the counterweight screw firmly - the telescope is now balanced about the polar (right ascension) axis.

(ii) With the counterweight bar horizontal, ensure that the right ascension clamp is locked and unlock the declination clamp and turn the telescope tube so that it is also horizontal. As before, GENTLY release your grip on the tube and note is there is a tendency for one end to rise in the air. If so, slowly loosen the clamps holding the tube and slowly slide the tube towards the end that rises. Lock the tube clamp rings once more and see if the telescope remains horizontal when so positioned. Repeat this process until the telescope remains wherever you place it.

The telescope is now balanced about both the declination and polar (right ascension) axes, In due course you will add various accessories to the telescope that will slightly alter the balance position particularly if it is a camera for astrophotography) in which case you will have to go through processes (i) and (ii) again, but for now you may care to mark the balance points on the counterweight bar and the telescope tube with small pieces of tape for fast assembly in future

source:- sherwoods

I think this is the scope you're working with?

TdkB5NCnFps

Yeah, looks similar, although my mount looks alot sturdier than that one!

I've actually found an excellent video which uses the exact mount i have and describes balancing/aligning everything really well. Im sure this will help me get it setup!

Here it is

bullettooth - thanks for that description - much appreciated

Archived