My first telescope - help?!

Hi all

I just came into some money (£500) and I'm looking at getting started. I want to get myself a decent telescope with this money - where do I start?

I've heard that what I'm looking for is a Dobsonian. But that's just about as much as I know. Can anyone give me a hand in terms of where to look, what to look for, what questions I need to ask, and what to get as well as the telescope (filters, eyepieces, tripods etc)?

Many thanks,

Keith

I would suggest you locate a astronomy club and go to a meeting and see what is available and what suits you best. You can ask the what telescope question to 10 astronomers say and get 10 different answers back, it is down to what you want and what you can carry etc, there are many things to consider so do not rush things.

First of all ask yourself what kind of telescope you want. Do you want something that's good for visual observing only, or might you want to do some astrophotography? What kind of things do you want to look at (e.g. the planets, deep sky objects, etc.)? Do you want a manual, an auto tracking or GOTO 'scope?

Also what would you be able to manage? Do you want something portable or is portability not really an issue? Dobsonians can get quite large so if you're intending to have something you can easily transport to dark sky sites it might not be the right 'scope for you.

As it's your first 'scope you may want to find out how easy the 'scope is to use. Dobsonians are great for beginners in that they have a very simple mount, so you don't need to mess about with polar aligning etc.

I know this feels like a lot of questions but there are so many 'scopes out there and every person has different interests and needs, so there's no 'one 'scope fits all' so to speak.

to be frank you are better off not doing photography until you have got some knowledge of astronomy and photography under your belt. webcamming solar system objects is possible on a small mount but long exposure is out of your budget at present.

I think you have been steered right with a dobsonian mount this means you can get a bigger scope and hence see more.

This is I think the best scope for the price around. If you are a driver it fits in the back of a car so you can get it somewhere dark. If you are not a driver, it's big enough to see something from most back gardens.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

welcome to sgl by the way

First slow down.

Too many jump into this and then find something is wrong, and £500 is a lot to find out that you have made the wrong choice.

Supply a location, someone will suggest a club if possible. Visit and have a look at what they have and get information.

It is your money and so your choice. People will mean well but they will tell you what they would get.

If me I would buy a nice ED refractor, others will say a large dobsonian scope, others will suggest a reflector on an EQ mount, then comes SCT/Maks on a goto unit.

All are scopes, all have their use and all are valid.

Where do you live: country side, town, house, 12th floor flat ?

Assume you are healthy, could you pick up a 30lb scope and carry it 1/4 mile? Have you a car?

I live in a town with a local club that does a fair bit of observing. I can carry an EQ5 (EQ3-2 is easier) and an 80mm to the site about a mile away, I couldn't do the same with a 12" dobsonian.

All these are relevant. All we have is: Have £500, want a scope.

Other facts: In realistic terms you will get to look at the sky once a week if lucky, but most likely once every 2 weeks on average. The pictures you see are all processed.

Archived