Antares 8" Newt advice please

I have recently joined you all here in the Stargazers lounge...... :police:......very comfey arm chairs........ :D (my bio is posted on the newcomers forum)

But on a serious note I am returning to astronomy after a break of 20 years and from this site mainly (and others) I have decided to buy a good tripod and I believe that the HEQ5 PRO would be a good buy as it will be of use with any scope I may buy now or later.........

The OTA is a little harder.... I am very keen on the 'Antares' HPN 8" Newt modified by Anttler in the States, you can find this at the following

http://www.geckooptical.com/anttlers_optics/telescopes_aohpn_antares_8newt.html

I would be very pleased if I could have your comments, I wish to do normal observations and to start astrophotography......I am aware that as I am only buying one scope this will be a compromise but with limited funds I would like to get the usual 'Rolls Royce' for the cost of a Mini !!

In view of the rough handling we have experienced here with the French delivery people I do not fancy buying S/H or on ebay as I think delivery would be both costly and risky, I will, when I have decided what to buy return to the UK and collect the set up my self.

I wait for any comments with interest

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff that seems a bit on the expensive side for an 8" newt, Have a look at the Skywatcher reange on Firstlight Optics. Steve there is very helpful and a member of this forum, he'll give you some great advice. A lot of people on here have the Skywatcher 200 on a HEQ5 and produce some great results.

Here's the LINK To the Skywatcher 200 on a HEQ5 Pro

Darren

Archived