Assembling and disassembling EQ5 and OTA for storage

Bit of a random question but it occured to me there are two ways to assemble the OTA on the mount.

1 - Mount the tube rings and then put the OTA in them and tighten

2 - Leave the OTA in the rings permanently and fit it to the mount on the long bar thing

I' m in the process of sorting out my small flight case to see if I can fit the counter weights, balance arm and mount head into it, so the rings will no doubt end up with no home so I wondered if it was acceptable to leave them on the OTA, I've noticed already that the long bar under the rings is already getting several scratches on it from the screws which secure it.

On a seperate note, there is far too much screwing down on to flat metal in these mounts, I'm assuming thats only as its a (relatively) cheap one. Over time, this thing will end up with so much paint missing and craters where things mount.

I always leave the rings on the OTA. Don't worry about the scuffs and pits on the dovetail bar - they get pretty messed up after a while! If you are really worried then put a piece of thin metal strip between the dovetail and the ends of the screws (or attach it to the dovetail with double sided tape) - If you use steel it will last a very long time.

"Posh" mounts have a "clamshell" arrangement where the whole female dovetail is split and clamps full length onto the dovetail leaving no marks at all.

To retain balance I put a bit of sticky tape on the dovetail so I can line it up with a mark on the mount and therefore put the scope back in exactly the same place each time - helps to keep the balance correct!

Another reason for leaving the rings & dovetail on the OTA is it stops it rolling about when you put it down on a flat surface!!

Archived