NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

MAK 127 Manual Control

I have a Celestron Nextstar 127 and the manual says the tube can be moved manually ie, without using the handset should the batteries run out. It appears to move in altitude OK but azimuth seems locked. I haven't forced it and thought I would ask here first!

If the mount is the same as the Skywatcher 127 then basically you can't move it in azimuth without loosening the large cap that secures the arm mount, and even then it is awkward. You can't realistically push the scope around for observing I'm afraid.

It seems to be the same with the celestron 6SE. In fact I have read that it is very inadvisable to try to move it in azimuth. Something to do with motors and clutches or something like that! As you can tell I have real technical ability and knowledge(not).

Pages 10/11 of the manual say you can move the scope manually when power is off - but I can't! DUH....

Does it move well when powered up. If it does, do what I do, don't try to move it manually, just in case. (For clarification see end of my previous posting)

Archived