Xmas eyepiece wish list

Hi guys,

I am looking at upgrading my EP's for a xmas present to myself, so I've been looking at the following;

5mm BST, 9/15/20mm, either GSO or Vixen NPL, along with a Tal x3 barlow to go with the webcam.

So two questions, first is this a reasonable collection for my scope that will also be usable on an eventual upgrade? secondly, GSO or Vixen? I've read so many reviews and threads my head hurts!!

What will I be viewing? Well, planets and the odd DSO when the skys are clear for long enough to find them. Trying to work my way through the M's.

Any advice or comments welcome.

Cheers,

Sully

That seems a reasonable range of focal lengths although personally I'd include a 32mm plossl in my "wish list" for the max field of view / low power views.

As for the GSO v's Vixen NPL question, I really don't think there is much difference between them - both very good for their cost. I'm a fan of Vixen stuff generally so I'd probably go for that brand but I know the GSO plossls are well thought of by their owners too.

They will work fine with other scopes you may buy in the future too.

Hi Sully,

Most new ep's will be an improvement on the ones supplied with scopes. The BST range are excellent value at around £40, I have an 8mm and its a keeper :- 1.25" Eyepieces

The focal length of your scope is 900mm, so follow Warthogs guide in the eyepiece section, he gives a range of ep's that everyone should have.

Also remember that your real limit is 260x so watch out with that 3x Barlow.

Link below for calculating eyepieces, just type in your scope & focal length.

N.A.A. Telescope Math Calculator

Aslo link for what you may see -

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

Enjoy your new kit

Cheers

Archived