Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

webcam + homemade guide scope....

stan26

Hi folks, I'm in the process of setting up all the bits and pieces to guide with my EQ3-2 mount. I anticipated a short while back that I would eventualy go down the guiding route so I had already converted my old vixen 60L refractor in a short focal guide scope ready for the job. I done this by removing one of the front objective lenses and working out th focal point and cutting the tube to length (approx 250mm) I have now ended up with an f4 ratio scope which I can focus my quickcam pro 4000 through quite easily, However after a trial run this morning using th moon and brighter stars I soon realised that the scope is giving the webcam a very narrow FOV and much more magnification than I expected, i.e the full disc of the moon won't fit in the FOV, However if I put a diagnol and 25mm eyepiece and look through it I get a reasonably wide FOV. Why is this....? lenses on webcam have been removed....?

Is this mag and narrow fov going to cause me many issues when guiding......? I accept the obvious problem being lack of stars to choose from in the fov.

This is my first experience with a webcam, I noticed that the image in PHD was very noisy and the brighter starts seemed to flicker, do I need to get rid of the "flickering" before I can guide...? The box locks onto th star and follows it ok, but it seems to be a bit jumpy with the flickering star image.....?

Sorry if these are daft questions, steep learning curve and all that...

Thanks for the reply psychobilly, So the logitech quickcam pro 4000 is classed as an "older" cam I guess..?? and its because of this I get the narrow FOV.

I actually thought it might be because I removed a front element from the vixen scope, but maybe not. Is there anything I can do to get a greater FOV...?

Cheers

Stan :)

Archived