NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter cloud bands?

laphroaig

Hi all,

When I viewed Jupiter recently with my 76mm reflector I saw 2 faint brown bands along the equator and the whole southern pole area of the planet (which in the scope is up) covered in somewhat darker brown colour. There may be a similar but much smaller patch around the north pole but so faint and small that I can't be sure.

That has been a consistent view over the nights and at different magnifications.

So I'd like to ask if what I saw (i.e the patches at the poles) is something real or just something produced by my cheap scope?

Thanks and clear skies to all.

That's exactly what I used to see with my Tasco 60mm, it's not bad for a small scope like ours eh?

They are the equatorial belts. From memory I don't think that I saw much more than that.

I haven't seen Jupiter yet in my 9.25 so I'm not sure how much better it will look in that.

Sounds like you saw the "main" cloud features, all right. There are 13 named belts, bands and zones visible on Jupiter. Most small scopes can only see the 2 main equatorial belts and maybe the polar zones. It takes aperture and good seeing to see the rest, plus details in the belts and bands at high mags.

Thank you all for the advice.

From your words it seems that my scope has done its job. Not bad for a £25 secondhand scope (Oops :police:)

Maroon bells, mine is also a Tasco, coincidentally. It has done a good firscope job.

It's funny that when I bought this scope, I told my self that seeing a wee bit of everything, and 'knowing that I saw it', is enough. And then after I got it for a short while I want the biggest scope in the world.

I saw some good views of Jupiter and Saturn through mine but never really saw any stars, not sure why.

Don't go too crazy on a big scope though. I'm sort of thinking that something smaller may have been more practical for me. I've got a Celestron 9.25 and it's a big job getting it out into the garden. You never realise until you actually use the things.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived