NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 2146 - This is going to be a long haul.

blackparticle

NGC 2146 is a a spiral galaxy in Camelopardalis that has recently undergone a galaxy collision or disruption. It's not very big and certainly not very bright at Mag 10.5

It was also one of the imaging targets this month at the Norman Lockyer Observatory so I gave it a go.

And possibly a first for SGL apart from someones quick go with the 2m Faulkes Telescope which in itself should have given me a clue to just how hard this thing is to image.

I could have waited until this was completed before posting but as a relative newbie to astro-photography I do like to see works in progress and how they unfold as more data is added. It gives me some idea of how much time has to be put in to achieve a result.

Current imaging time is 6hrs in subs ranging from 15 - 30 minutes with a Mak150 (reduced to approx 0.6x) / SXVF-M8C / Neq6.

Lots of noise still but it's there and starting to take shape. :)

Alan.

b73d8663b24ed360f94a25d7cb0f828a-d4ihf7q.jpg

Interesting project. Keep at it, as there's obviously some interesting detail there. I love these small galaxies. There are so many of them, but are often forgotten by imagers in favour of the more popular subjects.

Archived