Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1st Light for the Boren F2.8

Catanonia

There is a review in this forum on the unboxing and assembly of the scope. http://stargazerslounge.com/member-equipment-reviews/166261-boren-8inch-f2-8-newtonian-carbon-upgraded-model-review.html

For those images, unfortunately not 1st light at F2.8, just visual at it's native F4

Well I managed to spend about 3 hours collimating the Boren @ F4 without the corrector in and low and behold, there were clear skies in between fast moving cloud.

I couldn't resist and so stripped the WO66 widefield setup off the EQ6 mount and placed the Boren on it.

It is soooooooo light, mmmmmmm, 2 counter weights 5kg each 1/2 way down the shaft and it was done, even with a heavy EP in. The MN190 had both weights near the end.

Managed a quick alignment and pinged over to Capella.

YES YES.... Star test is showing a nice pattern in and out of focus and a lovely doughnut showing the further out I went :)

So had a bit of a play, hopped over to the moon and I must say it was beautiful in the 35mm 2inch Orion EP I have. So I had to try the 5mm crappy Skywatcher EP I have, it was so smooth and crisp. No idea what magnification that is, but best I have seen the moon except in the images on this forum. The view was so smooth as if someone had avi'd the scene, stacked and smoothed the image.

I have never had a proper newtonian before and I suppose I need to get used to F4 @ 800mm FL and 200mm wide.

Jupiter was nice to see in the 5mm, 2 clear distinct bands and 2 moons, and I tell you what, this scope at it's native focal length just might get me interested in visual for once :(

All this considering that I wasn't using the inbuilt cooling fan and the scope had barely time to cool down. Probably about 30mins. So either lucky or the carbon tube really helps.

Was fun dodging the clouds and spots of rain, but happy, 1st confirmation that I have collimated it ok and a quick star test looks good. Only a proper image and CCD Inspector will tell.

One issue I have found is that when visual, there is hardly any travel on the Baader focuser, about 1.5 inches, so make sure you have plenty of extension tubes to mix and match. But I suppose this scope is for imaging rather than visual, so I can let it off that one :)

The next task is to mate the QHY9, filter wheel, TSOAG and the Boren Corrector together ensuring the distances and go for a 1st astro image to see just how flat the field is and if I have collimation sorted properly.

Happy bunny so far even with the slight niggles the scope has presented today.

Archived