NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using "Stellarium"

Dear All,

Does anyone know how to use the "Stellarium" program to calculate the highest position which the Pole Star may reach in a given area of the UK?

I've just set up my polar finder (on my Skywatcher Explorer 200 Newt) - using a distant Pylon, but have come to a stop where the instructions say that I need to find out the date on which Polaris is at its highest position in my particular area (North Wales). (I have tried downloading the "Polar Finder" program from the internet, but for some reason it won't download to my computer).

I thought I would have a go at setting the Polar finder up whilst the weather is a bit too windy to do any viewing tonight.

I would appreciate any help with this one!

Regards,

Philsail1

I would have thought the date on which Polaris is directly above the NCP would be the same regardless of location.

I don't know about using stellarium but I've just fired up Starry Night and the date on which Polaris is highest above the horizon (and therefore directly above the NCP) at midnight (UT) is 03 December.

Polaris has an angular separation from the NCP of approx. 41.5 minutes (2 thirds of a degree) so add this to your geographical latitude (which is the same as the altitude of the NCP at your latitude) to give the altitude of Polaris on this date at midnight (Universal Time)

:sunny: Thanks for that very useful information "Astronut" (your SL name doesn't do you justice!). I will make a careful note of what you say and apply it to my Polar Scope.

"Whiplash" - I am trying to calibrate my Polar Scope.

(I've set the HEQ5 mount up in my back yard, and marked the paving flags with a dot of paint (the wife doesn't quite know about this yet!), so I'll hopefully be at least aligned as near as pos to the Pole Star. I've just got to fine tune the set up (using "Astronut's" info) then we'll see how it goes!!

Regards,

Philsail1

Just a note that the pole star's alt in degrees is almost exactly equal to your location's latitude no-matter where you are in the Northern Hemisphere. Of course if you want more accurate readings then software is your ally.

Matt

Archived