Close up shots of the moon

Finally getting somewhere. Collimated my sw200p scope and managed to finally suss out how to connect my dslr to my scope. Didn't realise the tmount (if thats what its called) separated into 2 to allow part of it to be screwed onto the camera. Although its left me wondering why 2 tmounts came with the scope. Other than an extension to the other tmount i havent got a clue what is for. (any suggestions?)

Any way, after wondering why the dslr wouldn't operate without a lens, i realised that it only worked on manual only. Aimed it at the moon, clicked the shutter button and de dah! My first picture of the moon. And it wasn't too bad...a nice desktop wallpaper. But, not being satisfied, I wanted to zoom right in only to find that i didn't know how. Obviously, if you want to get a closer look through the eyepieces you can just swap a 25mm for a 10mm etc, but how on earth (literally) do I zoom into the moon once my dslr is attached. Im sure there has to be a way. Any advise really appreciated. Id really like some close up shots.

Many thanks.

The easiest way is to put a Barlow between the camera and scope. This will give x2 (or whatever the Barlow is) increase in image size on the sensor.

If you don't have a Barlow, or have £40 to spare, get an SPC900 flashed webcam kit from Morgan Computers - it behaves like a 6mm eyepiece. The bad news is you will also need a lappy or netbook to control it! The idea of the webcam being to take a movie of, say, 1500 frames and stack all the frames to get a better quality image. The good news about that is that all the software you will need is free on the web.

Archived