Attaching My 600D...

Hello again everyone,

A simple question I'd like to ask just to give myself a heads up.

I just recently purchased my new Canon 600D and still learning a bit on the camera, however I have not bought any adapters to attach it to my C11 yet.

What I would like to know is when I buy the T-Ring and/or T-Adapter for the camera and finally attach it to the EP, will the camera will need the lens? Or will this require me to remove the camera lens and the zoom ability looking through the EP while taking pictures?

I have much more to learn in the Prime Focus and Afocal techniques, but does each adaptor provide you with one if these specific methods?

If you are using a T-ring or T adaptor you will not use the camera lense. Your scope is the lense in this case. Remove the eyepiece and replace it with the camera. You can connect the camera to a laptop and using software such as BackyardEOS you can focus with the Liveview mode.

If you are using a T-ring or T adaptor you will not use the camera lense. Your scope is the lense in this case. Remove the eyepiece and replace it with the camera. You can connect the camera to a laptop and using software such as BackyardEOS you can focus with the Liveview mode.

I have a Canon T3i which I think is the same camera in the USA. Anyhow, without BackyardEOS and the lens, how do you focus using Liveview?

I tried afocal with my Canon T3i/600D and the camera was too big. The afocal adapter I used was from Orion Telescopes. The bracket did not quite get high enough and it barely extended far enough lengthwise. Therefore, I bought a T-ring and the Variable Universal Camera Adapter from Orion. You can use it for both prime focus or eyepiece projection. I like the eyepiece projection feature where you can use your standard eyepiece inside the adapter. It just arrived; I have not tried it yet, but Im sure it would work fine.

I'm slowly learning the terminology but...

When you refer to Liveview, is that the LCD display on the camera or is this software on the laptop?

Also BackyardEOS, does this provide Liveview and is this software free from some sites?

What are some other software I may be able to use while taking pictures? Or am I set with these?

Yes, Liveview is displayed on the LCD on the back of the camera. I don't know about BackyardEOS (I've never gotten around to trying it), but certainly APT www.astroplace.net - APT - Introduction can show the Liveview feed on the computer screen. You can try APT for free, although some of the more advanced functions are reserved for the registered version.

Backyard EOS has a Liveview function as does APT (I prefer BYEOS ) but you need to pay for it although it's not much. It provides full control over the camera. No good for afocal though. You can also use the EOS utility that comes with the camera but it lacks a few functions for astro.

The best thing you can do is buy "Making every photon count" a book by Steve Richards. It really is invaluable.

Archived