hello everyone first time poster heres my story

hello everyone im steve, 25 y/o canadian 1 hour north of toronto

iv always wanted to get into astronomy as a kid, and 3 weeks ago i finally took the plunge

after ALOT of research and reading i decided to get the orion xt8i and the televue DELOS 6mm and 27MM PANOPTIC EPs

my first night out i had no idea what to look for or even what end to look out of... lol,

after figuring it out i put in my 25mm and swooped to the brighest thing in the sky.

i focused the EP and my thoughts were, hmm, that looks like... no it cant be.. oh my god is that.... JUPITER!?!?! HOLY!!!!

i was freeking out and my neighbors came outside to see what i was yelling about

funny thing is i havent even seen the moon yet, (its been the new moon for the last 2 weeks)

so that is my story

i dono if it was the bad seeing or transparancy, but jupiter didnt look so good tonight with x200

it was about the size of a pea, and had no detail

according to the sky chart tonight the transparancy was 3/5average and seeing was 2/5 bad

my EP lenses and TS mirrors were fogging up, that was kind of frustrating. how do i prevent this?

when i bring them in i should leave the caps off for a few hours so the condensation can dry right?

i still have my astronomy training wheels on, so any advice no matter how simple would help alot

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum, I do not have a reflector but the advice is the same, leave your scope pointing downward with the caps off in a cool but dry place if you have one, condensation is the astronomers nightmare and could be the reason why you did not see as well as your first session, when conditions are like that it is best not to use high power ep`s, you can avoid the condensation problem by investing in what is known as dew heaters, you can buy them commercially, or you can try a hair dryer HTH ;)

Hi Stev,

Welcome to SGL. that puts you around Barrie?? And some reasonably clear skies towards Huron. Also you have some great ep's so keep them warm in a pocket as they can and will dew up. And no Molsons before viewing!!.

Cheers

Archived