has anyone got/used Philips PCVC675K Vesta web camera? also what is collamation?

Hi im looking at getting my 1st webcam for imaging planets and moon and was wondering wether anyone has any experience of these cameras and what they think of them?

also could anyone tell me what collamation is , i know its basically calibrating the lenses but i just wanted to know if every type of telescope needs this done or certain types or brands.

cheers...rich

The Philips PCVC675K is one of the earliest webcams to be modified for planetary and lunar imaging. The sensor is the same as used in the SPC900 and SPC880 and The Imaging Source D*K 21AU04 cameras. The only problem with it is that the camera will not be supported by windows vista or win 7 but you might be able to reflash the firmware on the camera to make it appear to the computer as the SPC900.

Most type of telescope require collimating at some point to realign the optics. The only exception being cheaper refractors.

Peter

Archived