Startravel 102/ Skyliner 200p

Hello all, a bit of advice needed regarding a new scope. I have been happily using my SW130P for a year or so & am wanting to upgrade a bit. After much research into various scopes I have settled on either a Skyliner 200p or Startravel 102 Synscan AZ Goto. My interests are both terestrial and deep sky. I know there is no perfect all round scope, apparently the Startravel 102 is reasonable for both terestrial and deep sky observations, mmm is this true ? Also I would not expect the Synscan to be great due to the cheap unit price. Any info on the Startravel scope would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any advice.

The 200p would be the best buy for deep-sky observing without a doubt, the dob has nearly 4x the light collecting area of the refractor even with its central obstruction. It would be less demanding on eyepieces because of it's slightly longer focal ratio. But as you said it would not be the best choice for terrestrial observations, the view would be flipped and the way it is mounted would mean that the eyepiece would be very low when pointing horizontally.

I guess it comes down to which aspect is more important and go with the 'scope that does it best or if you can stretch to having two 'scopes for two different tasks.

apparently the Startravel 102 is reasonable for both terestrial and deep sky observations, mmm is this true ?

Simple answer: No.

The 102 isn't great for terrestial viewing either. To get an upright image they have to put an erecting prism in the way. This isn't that good a prism so what comes out is not really that good.

Considering that the 102 will collect only 61% of the light your present scope collects it has to be a backward step, not any form of upgrade.

Get the 200p and at some time buy a spotting scope. I have a small bushnell spotting scope that was about £80 and is very good. It looks similar tp the mighty midget done by someone else.

Archived