AE Luton Type B mount mod

dark star

I attach some pictures of a mod I am planning to do on the pedestal mount. The wheel is an industrial swivel, lockable castor from Screwfix. The mod should allow me to move the mount on grass around the garden, at least to some extent. It should make polar aligning much easier and allow me to change observing position occasionally.

I need three castors. I have bought one, but they cost just under 25 pounds each! As I am spent up for the moment, I will be waiting a few weeks to get the other two. The castor attaches by bolts to the leg of the pedestal and seems rather solidly attached.

The most important thing is that, if I want to put the mount away in my small shed, it looks like it will fit with the castors, as they swivel. Unfortunately it only fits in by being lifted up and swung round, I can't just wheel the mount in to the shed.

I will be leaving the pedestal part of the mount outside most of the time, under a cover. The garden has a wall, a large fence and a locked large gate. Even with wheels the pedestal is heavy and difficult to move any distance. I think it is unlikely to be stolen!

The only thing I have to check is how much height the castors add to the mount. As I have a 10 inch reflector I need to make sure I can still see through the eyepiece!

David

post-17877-133877698291_thumb.jpg

post-17877-133877698298_thumb.jpg

post-17877-133877698305_thumb.jpg

post-17877-133877698317_thumb.jpg

Love the dust sheet on the work bench... (I wouldn't dare-hung drawn and quartered comes to mind!).

They're big casters do you really need them that large? They must be 5-6 inches diameter.

I can move my heavy garage work bench around on 4 x 2-inch diameter casters. Just feel you may be a little OTT and you could save yourself a fortune in the process (you could get all 3 for the price of one)

Just a thought

You could be right about the castors, plus they may add too much height to the mount, as I have a 10 inch reflector.

My wife was at work, I tidied up before she got home, otherwise I would have not lived to tell the tale!

I would have taken the pedestal in to the sitting room, but it was too difficult getting it through the door!

I will probably experiment with smaller castors.

David

Archived