Skymax 127 autotrak or explorer 150P

I've trawled the trhreads and am closer to my answer but still need a bit more advice.

I’m looking to buy my first telescope and having read loads of reviews I’ve narrowed it down to 3: the skymax 127 supa trak, the skywatcher explorer 150p and the 150pl.

I understand the difference between the P and the PL in terms of the L version being better for planetary work and more tolerant of eye piece due to it being f8 as opposed to f5. However, as space is of a premium I think the PL is going to be too large so it’s probably a toss up between the 127 supatrak and the 150P. What I’d like is a good all rounder one that will let me see good planetary details as well DSOs. I know I’m in search of the Holy grail but is one of the two way better than the other optically? I can cope with long setup time and I’m not interested in photography if that makes a difference.

i would say the newt will have the edge on DSOs; the mak may have a slight edge on moon and planets because of its longer focal length but if you get decent quality eyepieces for the newt there's no reason why it wouldn't be as good. I would say the newt will be a better "all rounder" as it will give you lovely wide field low power views that the mak won't.

I'd go with the newt too - the mak will be great on planets but below average on DSOs, whereas the newt will be great on DSOs, and perfectly capable on planets too.

I'm in the same boat as you, i don't have much space and am tossing up between a mak, or just keeping a 200p in my car lol

I know i'd like the planetary views from the mak, and REALLY want a tracking mount because at high powers, it gets annoying. But by going planetary, you really limit your targets massively. So i guess i gotta decide - do i give up the tracking for a greater range of targets? I think i will, the mak is far better as a complimentary scope when you have too much money.

Archived