240v ac mains supply outside

dark star

I have bought an AE of Luton type B mount. The power supply is 240v ac, what is the safest way of using this outside?

I have an RCD circuit breaker but need to know about things like earthing the supply/ telescope mount. Also protected and dew proof cable.

The mount will only be a relatively short distance from my bedroom window in the garden, but obviously I need some kind of protection against dew and the whole telescope mount somehow becoming live if a fault develops!

The electric lead will be in the air from the window to the telescope, resting on a chair. But obviously could easily fall on to the grass.

I know nothing about electricity (although I am slowly trying to learn the basics!)

David

HI David,

If this is going outside on an extension lead then plug the extension lead into an rcd protected socket inside. If the mount is 240v then this will automatically be earthed unless it is wholly plastic!!

This setup does sound a tad heath robinson. It is worth dropping in to b&q / Maplins and getting a waterproof junction box to put your extension lead into so that all is protected outside. See link below for screwfix kit !!.

Weatherproof Box Kit | Screwfix.com

Stay Safe.

Thanks for the replies.

The mount has no plastic in it. It is really heavy and metal! Glad to know I do not have to do anything expensive or complicated! I will get a weather proof box as the existing lead is too short, so I need to get an extension lead. This will need to be plugged in outside.

David

In time you could perhaps source a 12v DC motor with the same rotation speed, to replace the 240V AC one?

Whilst I'm a dumbarse when it comes to leccie, I shudder(pun indended) at the thought of 240V AC at the mount, soaked in dew :-(

Protect the PSU from rain but make sure it's well ventilated and doesn't get chance to dew up. All my outdoor mains extension cables are heavy duty weather protected (like caravan ehu cable). My PSU sits in the awning near and open flap. It's all a bit belt and braces but I prefer it that way :)

Thanks for all the advice, I now have the weather proof box from Screwfix.

I just need some weather protected cable and I should be set!

I don't want to think about replacing the motors for a long time, as I have spent quite enough money! A few people seem to use 240v outside, so hopefully I should be OK.

David

Archived