Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ3 adding Synscan ?

Hi

Im thinking of adding a synscan to my EQ3 mount as i have trouble finding objects manually.

As anyone carried out this up grade and is it really the right option?

Money is tight so i cant really go for a EQ5 with goto at the momemt.

I was also hoping to do some Astrophotography with a DSLR or Webcam atteched to my Skwatcher 150p.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Unless the Synscan can be removed and put on an EQ5 later I would not have thought it worth the cost.

The EQ3-2 is not known for it's stability and the cost of Synscan is I suspect more then the mount. A set of dual motors alone costs £80-100.

You could try to get an EQ5 or CG5 second hand - they come up quite regularly for around the £100 mark depending on age and condition (and negotiating skills lol).

The motors would be £75 ish for RA (£95 RA and DEC) new. S/h I've seen dual drives go for around £70. A CG5GT goto complete are between £200-£300 depending on age/condition and would be my preferred option.

I doubt the EQ3 would be worth the upgrade - it's a bit light and wobbly. :)

Archived