re Meade LX200 10 inch

Hi All, as a complete beginner i am looking at all the options new, old etc. first glance is at the SW/Celestron MAK 127's. however here i a little bit more off a mad option.

someone reasonable local to me is selling their 1997 Meade lx200 10inch including a fair few lens etc, very lightly used. i know this thing weighs in nearly the same as my audi so it is not what you call a get up and go scope but as a little bit of a longer term option it might be worth a look at if the price stays reasonable.

i have read a few posts regarding the problems with the circuit boards (capacitors blowing) and i wondered just how prevalent this problem is and whether there were particular years more likely to have difficulties than others.

anybody with the same scope who would like to share their personal joy/woes ? also if this is a real problem does anyone know of a German fix option plus what other Mounts this beast can be mounted on as a final resort.

You may want to ask around on the cloudy nights SCT forum to check what the optics were like on the older Meade SCTs. I've heard that some pre-'94 (IIRC) Celestrons weren't so good optically. I too have heard of numerous drive malfunctions in those SCTs. A friend has been exposed to several of them and he says that every one has had drive trouble of some sort. Some issues have stemmed from the use of plastic gears, which strip. Others from sticky grease (should be easy to change, though). There are also the electrical issues you mention.

However, if this scope is sufficiently cheap then you can always re-mount it in the future if needed and you'll still have a good deal. Presumably you can strap or screw a dove-tail to it and be on your way. Try to get under the stars with it first. Obviously this isn't always possible, however.

Hi Mgirdwood,

I have an LX200 Classic, whils t some do have issues with the handset, I bought a spare and have never used it. The cheapest way of protecting the set is to replace the capacitors as stated. Else what happens is they burn up and take out the handset mambrane which then makes it junk.

Its a great scope, buya locator plate from astroboot though, its the best 10 quid you will spend!..

Cheers

Hi Mgirdwood,

I have my LX mounted to an EQ6 pro and have no problems at all with the weight.

As umadog states you can indeed fit dovetails to the tube (I have top and bottom rails) for all the extras you could ever need so don't think twice would be my opinion, just don't give yourself a hernia lifting the beast ;-)

Steve....

Archived