Skymax 90 OTA photo tripod help

Hello all,

This might be the most obvious question asked yet! But, I have an Evolution Video Tripod 9569AC which I've used in the past for binoculars with an adaptor.

Is this tripod suitable for my Skymax 90 and if so any ideas on which adaptor / mount I might need to fit this? And, how to do this? (Sorry totally non-technical person here!!)

I'm using the EQ1 at the moment but it would be nice to have a choice!

And yes, you are right I'm coming up with things to do as it has been soooo cloudy lately!

Thanks in advance if anyone takes the time to respond

Emma

Hi Emma,

Not too sure to be honest, i used to have a 90mm mak on a photo tripod, it was not in the same league as a skymax though (weight wise)

Before you do anything though, check the weight of the OTA and check the web to see if they list what the tripod and head can comfortably support.

Rgds

Scott

Just to say thanks for the advice.

I never would have believed the little screw for the binoculars on the tripod would securely hold the mak in place! But it does so brilliantly! Thanks for giving me the confidence to try it out.

I would tend to exercise a little caution, however. A telescope aimed up above 45 degrees is going to apply quite a bit of force OFF the vertical alignment of the tripod. That is why many telescope tripods have a rod below and on the opposite side from the OTA to counter-balance the weight of the tube. Without that rod and weight, the whole thing could tip over.

Jim S

Archived