COLLIMATED

It's better to wait until you mirror is cooled, as you'll get nicer images that way. That may take half an hour or so. Depends on temperature difference and whether you have a fan. However, you should just get observing right away each night and build up experience. You won't care about tube currents at first and the mirror will cool whilst you observe.

As we said on the other post, don't worry about the laser. Which, BTW, is spelled with an "S" for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. ;)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a cheap laser collimator on my scope (bought off fleabay) and get quite reasonable results, but if you go down this road there are certain things you should be aware of....

1. Not all laser collimators are collimated themselves and it is best to buy one that is adjustable. I was lucky!! ;) The one I bought was bang on........

2. The focuser on the AstroMaster 130EQ is somewhat floppy, and is not really helpful when using a laser collimator. It can move a bit, so if you do use one make sure that it is stable when you use the collimator. It is also a good idea to make sure that you position it the same every time.

3. You will have to mark the centre of the primary mirror somehow to know that the laser is dead centre. This involves removing the mirror from the back of the scope (best done when you have more experience and have worked out what the parts of your scope are) and then marking the centre of the mirror with either a CD marker pen ( as I have done ) or a paper reinforcing disc ( as others use when working with a Cheshire collimation tool ).

It is probably best to read up on collimation and learn the parts of your scope before you start taking it to bits, or buying relatively expensive equipment to collimate it.

One quick word of advice if you do buy a laser collimator. Many people say that you will need a 'V' block to test the collimation before using it. I have found that the top of the mount that grips the dovetail bar for my scope makes an excellent 'V' block, so you will probably not have to invest in another piece of equipment.

All in all, I would leave buying a collimator until you have a bit more knowledge of your scope.

Archived