Motorised focuser

Hi.

I have only just started astronomy and have bought a Skywatcher 130 scope Sky-Watcher Explorer 130M Newtonian Reflector Telescope

I have also bought a web cam from morgan a SPC880 flashed to a SPC900NC.

I am now concidering a motorised focuser Skywatcher Focusers - Telescope Focusers by OVL

My question is, is it possible to use this motor with the pre-existing manual focus assembly that came with the scope or would i also have to buy a new focuser assembly?

I have the very same focuser assembly on my 4.5" Sky-Watcher newtonian and I too have purchased the Sky-Watcher motor focuser, for obvious reasons. Unfortuantely, the motor focuser is intended for the Crayfords and not for the rack-and-pinion focuser of yours/ours, so there is no suitable mounting bar supplied to fit it to. So it requires a bit of do-it-yourself attitude.

I myself had to made an attachment thingey out of an aluminium bar, and the rod to connect the motor to the focus knob too, as you might see in the attached pictures. It was a bit of a palaver but was well worth it - it is, in my humble opinion, the best accessory to purchase for dealing with the "floppiness" of the EQ2 mount.

post-27855-133877692386_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877692395_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877692403_thumb.jpg

I should add that both of the focus knobs on each side are screwed on. You might have to apply a bit of force to loosen one.

I only mention it because I have found out that they are screwed on after an unsuccessful attempt to pull one of using a hammer. I was an utter clot :D

Archived