Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jamaican Sky/Stellarium Help

I have just returned for my delayed honeymoon in Jamaica. After watching the sunset on monday night i was watching a bright object follow the sun close to where the sun had set.

I had a look on stellarium but there is one crucial problem, the sun is still high in the sky and the sun doesnt set until after 2200. However i can prove the sun set at around 1800.

Can someone help me on either problem. The object had a ornagey tint to it but i cant be sure if this was caused by the atmosphere.

Incidently the skies in the Caribbean are brilliantly clear with no pollution lingerling in the air.

There are three objects which follow the Sun set at the moment.

By far the brightest of the three is the normally white looking Venus. The other two could have been Mercury or the bright red star Antares, which are approximately the same magnitude.

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you with any certainty what one it was but if you could see Antares, you should have also seen the two planets.

I had a look on stellarium but there is one crucial problem, the sun is still high in the sky and the sun doesnt set until after 2200. However i can prove the sun set at around 1800.

Time zone handling strikes again...

You need to compensate for the difference between the time zones in Jamaica and your computer's current time zone - either manually, or by using the Time Zone plug-in to set the offset from UTC.

Archived