NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Megrez 90

Thanks to Psychobabbler am now the proud owner of a Megrez 90, thanks for the help with the sale mate.

So just started on my road with astrophotography with this purchase and having settled on this route this means my ideas of a big dob have been shelved (for now).

My wallet is already cowering at the thought of the further expense I'm gonna need to make, but the chance to own such a cool piece of kit at a great price could not be missed!

I think I shall make do with the gear I have at the moment and work with a few budget accessories until funds allow for greater improvements.

Next stop (probably just after christmas) I think will be new mount. Moving from my current alt-az to a decent (or as decent as I can affford!) eq mount, thinking maybe First Light Optics - Skywatcher EQ5 PRO Synscan GOTO

or First Light Optics - Meade LX80 GEM & Alt-Az Mount

pending release/reviews/cashflow ofc:grin:

I'd be looking for a secondhand HEQ5, Vixen GP or GPDX if you can find one with a handcontroller that will autoguide. You could probably get what you need for less than £500 if you go secondhand and it would be of much better quality than a new EQ5. I don't know anything about the LX80 so I can't comment.

Congratulation on the new scope.

I agree with Angus suggestion of HEQ5 and GPDX if you wanted to do astrophotography. A used GPDX is around £300 depending on age and condition.

I'd avoid LX80 for now. It's too new and you will be taking a large risk to be a one of the first to buy one. May be it will be amazing, but the chances are the first batch will be full of software bugs and mechanical issues and there won't be any aftermarket tuning kit to fix those problem.

Thanks for advice. Always great response from SGL community :D Going to have a lot of time to research. Restricted to observational at the moment but Im just as happy with that and my ickle sw130 is just right for me to be able to pigeon hole it as a grab n go setup. Have had a little fun imaging Jupiter and the moon with this gear and although I dont have an ideal setup for this purpose I was happy with the results, so making the best of what I have is just a necessity I'll have to perpetuate.

Thanks again :eek:

Archived